The MKUKUTA Secretariat is the main coordination point of the monitoring system in Tanzania, as illustrated in the Institutional Chart. It is based in the Poverty Eradication Division at the Ministry of Planning, Economy and Empowerment in Dar es Salaam and is staffed by Government who provide the following services:
- Secretariat services to the main decision-making body, the Technical Committee
- Management of the "Pooled Fund" (government and donor resources) which supports the monitoring system
- A central information point on MKUKUTA, and coordination of information flows between Technical Working Groups
- Support to the secretariats of the Technical Working Groups, including oversight of annual reviews of performance
- Supporting work-planning and budgeting processes
- Coordinating stakeholder consultations on MKUKUTA.
- Ensuring linkages with Public Expenditure Review process and planning processes of sectors and local authorities.
- Ensuring cross cutting issues are incorporated in each of the Technical Working Groups
- Coordinating evaluation of the national MKUKUTA strategy
The MKUKUTA Secretariat coordinates the production of the MKUKUTA Annual Implementation Reports as a key national output.